Chloe's Student Portfolio

The Story of My Learning Starts Here

LO3: Project Week Planning

Project week so far has been an exciting process, but not one without difficulties. Project week is a week in which we complete LO7 and experience incredible amounts of CAS with a group of likeminded individuals. My group came together as we all knew we could work well together, and were close enough to comfortably spend a week in close proximity of each other. The most important thing for this week for me was trust in my group members, as we would be alone in a foreign country.

Each group members role was selected by themselves, and initially I was the first aid officer. However, due to organisation issues, we decided to change around the roles and I became the logistics officer. This was initially very stressful as 5 of our applications were rejected. I showed a lot of perseverance in this part of project week planning, as I continued to organise applications.

After coming together as a group, we knew that time was depleting and our ability to organise project week would become less and less. We outlined the most important part we all wanted to accomplish at project week; service. After this, we decided to work with Epic Arts, a sports and dance school for the disabled in Cambodia. They requested activities and lessons by which we teach the students appropriate stretching methods, and ways to live a healthy lifestyle as they are unaware of some dangers. All members of my group has strong connections to these activities so it seemed like a well suited fit. This is because as all touch players, 3/4 being biology student and a dance teacher consisting of our group, we feel what epic arts wanted us to do was very much attainable. To further our impact after we leave, not only will we provide presentation and video materials, we are making posters of which they can stick up around the centre, and donating stretching equipment such as yoga mats and rollers to ensure the dancers continue to follow what we have taught.

To then experience culture and creativity in Cambodia, we requested to return back to Phnom Penh earlier (this is where the airport is). As Kampot is a relatively quiet city, we wanted a wide range of possible activities to accomplish, so heading back to Phnom Penh was ideal. In order to get this approved however, we had to present our creativity activities. We decided on a Cambodian art class, cooking class and yoga class to align somewhat with what we had accomplished in Epic Arts. However, we are still acquiring some child consent forms to ensure safety. Furthermore, we will be visiting the Russian markets and a night market, some of the must see’s in Cambodia.

Some challenges were definitely the rejections we received, and the initial organisation of this trip. A big one we will face in Cambodia however is el niƱa, a heatwave that is to hit once we are there. To prepare for this, we have all attended first aid sessions, bought excess electrolytes for the trip, and heavily read up on the recommendations provided by ISOS. Furthermore, we have located stores close to our hotels by which we can purchase a lot of drinking water, and we will all bring large water bottles to the trip.

As the logistics officer, I had to show incredible amounts of perseverance when first applying for Cambodia, and now, as we are wrapping up our final plans. Organising the flights, hotels, restaurants, taxis and activities was hard as a logistics manager, but I feel as though this will greatly benefit me later

I am currently still in the process of wrapping up project week, and with 2 weeks to go I am growing in anticipation!

I can’t wait for what is to come!

Next Post

Previous Post