Student Portfolio

The Story of My Learning Starts Here

EE Reflection 1

Going to small, traditional grocery stores in Little India with my parents, I was surprised why they chose these stores instead of big retailers like Mustafa. I pondered over the survival of these traditional Indian grocers despite the presence of big retailers. Being intrigued by the operation of this market, I decided to investigate its market structure for my Extended Essay. To refine my investigation, I discussed this idea with my supervisor and identified parameters to analyze such as market power, price competition, and barriers to entry. Initially, I consulted secondary sources to find data about this market however, I hit a roadblock since information was unavailable. Therefore, I decided to base my research on primary data. I explored Little India and chose Buffalo road for data collection owing to its high concentration of Indian grocers. Furthermore, my supervisor advised me to think about ways I could use to quantify my findings. Looking into metrics, I decided to use the Herfindahl Hirschman Index and the Likert Scale. Now, I have a clear direction for research.

Next Post

Previous Post