Drum Therapy #2

LO5-Demonstrate the skills and recognise the benefits of working collaboratively .

Since the first week of Drum Therapy, it has been going very smoothly. We as a group has worked collaboratively and has communicated at a high level to achieve our goals. After taking part in the service more frequently, I have become much more comfortable with the people with special needs. Yes, there are some who are unpredictable and can be acting ‘weird’ at times, but my courage to interact with them in the different activities has grown tremendously.

The things we can improve on further in the future is having a structured plan for our drumming. Right now, we are just hitting the drums with our respective clients for the whole half of the session. We should organise and plan simple drum rhythms and patterns to try to teach the clients. Even though, all of us are much more comfortable with them, we should be more engaging with them, actually playing the drum with them or teaching them. Right now, most of us are just sitting there, watching them play silently. Other than that, our sessions has been very effective. The clients are learning different motor skills from the drumming and the colouring. I haven’t led my session yet, but when I do (after the Christmas break), I will incorporate more simple games into my sessions so the drumming isn’t repetitive, which might make the clients bored and uninterested.