What does you language say about you and your culture?

Even within the same language, there are different ways to speak that language dependant on the interactions we have. Code-switching is an idea to change the way you speak to match with the people around you. I think this is very similar to linguistic convergence and I believe I do this all the time. For example, in Japanese, there is formal Japanese and informal Japanese and I use them on separate occasions so that I can fit into the society and the culture that Japan has.  Japan has a tendency to expect the people to read between the lines and to “know the atmosphere” and as this is a very major thing, I also try to change the way I speak in front of certain people. This varies with the age of the person you are talking to and the relationship you hold with that person. Jargons are used in the same age group while you wouldn’t use those words with adults as they would find that unrespectful and would not understand what I am saying. Moreover, when I am speaking in English I do change the way I speak with who I’m talking to.

As I learned US English first but was also in an environment where many spoke British English, I change certain words depending on who I’m talking to. If the person that I am talking to uses football instead of soccer, I would use that in front of them. I also do this with pronunciations, such as aluminum and I change the way I speak,  with the people around me at that certain time.

One Reply to “What does you language say about you and your culture?”

1. vans83216@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg says: Reply

An interesting and well thought out post. I find your ideas on code-switching and how people use it to match others very insightful, as well as how you personally code-switch. The idea that different cultures have different expectations as to how and when to code-switch is quite fascinating to me. I wonder why and which differences in cultures lead to different expectations in regards to code-switching. A contemplative and introspective post.