Support and Friendship with Riding with the Disabled (RDA) 2

LO 5 COLLABORATION (Working together to achieve an outcome)

As the first term has ended, I have done multiple sessions with the local service at this point. The activities in the service require collaboration work and it is part of our service to work together. Not just our partners but also the leader, who is leading the horse. My partner James and I have been getting along fine, however, we are sometimes both lost on what to do. This is because our rider at the service is more skilled than the other riders as she doesn’t seem to have any physical incapabilities. She is doing all of the activities provided by the service easily and seems to be bored with the activity. So we have to be constantly giving her new challenges and tasks, so she is more engaged in the activities. We tried to come up with specific activities for her with the help of the leader(Izzy) and also the supervisors at the place. So we have started to use reins and saddles, a more sophisticated equipment so she feels more challenged. Working with the service partners and James to come up with activities went smoothly because they were aware of the specific knowledge around horse riding and the disabled while we knew more about the rider and what she is capable of doing as we have worked with her more closely. Some problems we encountered was when we were using the reins, we weren’t sure whether she has learnt to used the equipment before and as we couldn’t communicate with her that much, we didn’t know whether to push her or try to ease into the activity. And as the supervisor that we were talking to before was not there that day, we weren’t able to figure out. To improve next time, I should make sure that I know more about my rider and strengthen my relationship with her so that I know exactly what she needs and how she can be challenged. I should try to do this by trying to talk to her more and although this may be hard as it is hard to understand her, I should try different methods to communicate with her more.

LO 7 Recognise and consider the ethics of choices and action

In this service, there are some ethical choices that we have to consider during the services. As we are involved with the disabled riders, we get sensible personal details of each rider, concerning their physical and mental condition of the rider. This is . a very confidential information that has to be kept to ourselves. So when we receive the information about our rider, we have to make an ethical choice not to share any information. I chose not to share this information with anyone else, as first it is morally incorrect to share any kind of private information to someone else without their consent and I wouldn’t want my information to be shared either. Another ethical choice to make is to make sure we are giving our full attention to the rider. As rider has physical incapabilities, it is extremely important that they have our full attention. And as the riders are quite a dependant on the side walkers, we have to be ethical and make sure that we are helping them with our best ability.