Mathematical Method

1. Using examples from your own education, describe the ‘Mathematical Method’
  2. How is it both similar and different from the scientific method?
  3. What are the strengths and weaknesses?

The Mathematical Method can be defined as a method used in modelling through their application to solving real-world problems. They involve axioms, conjectures and theorems. An axiom is a statement that is accepted as being true, for example, when you add 2 real numbers, you will get a real number as an answer. A conjecture is an opinion formed from incomplete information. Conjunctures can lead to theorems, for example during the discovery of the Pythagoras Theorem, it was originally a conjuncture but was tested repeatedly in different situations to prove that a^2+b^2=c^2.

The Mathematical method is in a way similar to the Scientific method. Both methods start from a claim or opinion-like idea that is then tested in different ways to prove whether it is true, but in the Mathematical method, it goes from a conjecture to theorem whilst for the Scientific method you start with a hypothesis and end with something else.

A strength of the Mathematical method is that everything is precise and has a definitive answer, although there could be different ways to get to the answer, whilst for the Scientific method, the ‘answers’ are less precise and could be open-ended. It is much easier to create theorems then it is to create theories because everything in math follows a pattern, making it easier to come to a conclusion.

2 thoughts on “Mathematical Method

1. I agree with you. I wrote similar things in my reflection. I like how you said that “ended. It is much easier to create theorems then it is to create theories because everything in math follows a pattern” I didn’t think about this, but I agree.

2. I agree with most things, except for the fact that they both play out in the same way. Mathematics uses the inductive method, where you start with cetain axioms and try and find a pattern to explain a phenomenon, whereas, in the scientific method, one uses deduction where you start with a hypothesis and find evidence to prove that hypothesis. Otherwise, I agree with everything you have written! 🙂