Why People Make Bad Decisions

There are many reasons why people make bad decisions in life such as poor comparisons, lack of information, or simply being too optimistic. Often times these bad decisions are the result of the improper use of either inductive or deductive reasoning. Many of the bad decisions that people make can easily be avoided with the use of reason, however, this is easier said than done.

I myself have made bad decisions in the past due to a fault in my reasoning. One example of a bad decision I have made in the past is when I chose to buy one brand of headphones over another pair. I had chosen the pair of headphones that were less expensive as I had valued saving money over buying a more expensive pair of headphones. However, the headphones that I bought broke within one week of using them, rendering the purchase worthless. This is an example of a bad decision that I have made due to a poor comparison as well as a lack of information. I had made a poor comparison of the pros and cons of buying the cheaper headphones over the more expensive headphones. I also had a lack of information on the quality of the cheaper headphones. These factors led to a fault in my deductive reasoning and is an example of how people can make bad decisions every day.

Posted in

2 thoughts on “Why People Make Bad Decisions

1. I didn’t really understand the introduction and felt it was unnecessary.

But I like the example showing that cheaper products can lead to poor quality and how it is in our thinking to rather buy cheaper products over a more expensive one, regardless of the quality of the headphones.

I think you should term it appropriately as used in the video. (Comparing with the possible, Errors in Value)

Reply

2. I’ve experienced something similar myself! I think a lot of people experience similar dilemmas!

Reply