Dear Mentor Group…….

Dear mentor group:

Here’s what we should do next Tuesday, let us discuss Rumi’s poem “The Guest House”. Through this poem we should answer the questions: “What does Rumi say about human nature through this poem?” , “What does this mean in terms of solving conflict?” and “What significance does the last line play in terms of getting his message across”

Poem;

“The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

— Jellaludin Rumi,
translation by Coleman Barks”

We should first read the poem as a class to get a feel of the mood of this poem, secondly we should analyse the words he uses when talking about humans and the different adjectives used when describing the different guests (emotions). Lastly we should talk about how this plays a role in peace building and how significant Rumi’s message is.

I believe through analysing and looking through this lovely poem we will be able to better understand humans and also better understand how we should go about everyday life. This poem really opened my eyes and spoke to me about how significant each and every feeling we feel plays an important role in our lives.

1 Comment on Dear Mentor Group…….

1. Manasi
    November 20, 2017 at 2:33 pm (6 years ago)

One challenge you may want to think about when discussing that question is people in your mentor group who are not part of IFP might not be familiar with the idea of peace building and may not understand how to respond. Your post reminded me that IFP should be about exploring peoples’ feelings on an issue before solving the issue itself and I’m most interested in hearing the results when you all analyse the poem and the different thoughts people come up with !

Reply