Half-Term October Reflection

I made a fabulous start to my high school experience, this term. The term was a good start as I not only had good times, but learnt so much and faced challenges.

My favourite part of entering the term as a high school was getting more freedom compared to Middle school where we were restricted to many things however I believe High school gives us a chance to really discover ourselves as individuals and young adults. The freedom we get also determines how much beliefs the teachers put into us to show that they believe we are responsible for ourselves. Some of my favourite things about high school, include loner lunch breaks, subjects taken of choice, the way we are maturely spoken to, the trust and responsibility of teachers and my peers and especially allowing myself to experience new friendship groups.

Along with some enjoyment has also come challenges which I try to overcome even now, and believe I will continue to do so. The biggest challenge I have faced so far is being able to manage my time well enough so I am able to finish my homework, meet deadlines and generally study. Since the start of term, I noticed that most of my teachers were very open about how to record homework, and not necessarily had to be through an organiser which we were asked to use in middle school as much as we could. And because we are trusted and believed responsible enough to manage ourselves, this doesn’t leave out homework or other assignments. We have to be organised and manage time well to be able to succeed the coming four years.

My biggest surprise was that I was able to talk more openly to many. Because in middle school, I was very closed off and had only a small circle of friends, it was interesting to see that I was able to communicate with those I wouldn’t have thought I would. This I believe is because of the many different classes we have different students. I have learned that I am not only able to be a loyal, trust worthy person but a sociable and helpful one at that. I have also learnt that the UWC community is a big place and unlike years back in middle school or even junior school, I am not very sure who are in my grade and have found out what a huge community, a one like UWC can be. I am part nervous for meeting so many people in the coming years, but am as much excited to do so. I enjoy meeting others and learning about their passions and personality.

To the future grade 9s, I would like to give one, and only one advice. Be attentive and manage your time and work well. However a small and very known deal, it makes a huge difference if you follow it. If you follow through classes and are able to manage your time and be organised, you will be able to do wonders.