Leading PSP Session

During the PSP sessions last week, a classmate and I took on the responsibility to initiate and lead class discussions on the basics of healthy relationships and what were to be expected from them. We divided the class into two groups to work separately in as we found that it would contribute to clash in opinions, and therefore create more discussion amongst our peers. When divided into two groups, we came up with a list of qualities a relationship should have to be classified as a healthy one. From the long list, we selected five which were necessary for a relationship to function well. We then came together as a group and found out the trends were going on the lines of respect and communication which we mostly agreed upon, but some disagreed and this intuited a debate in the separate groups.

Whilst taking in lead this session, I was able to not only able to give information but also was able to get different points of views on the topic through the in-depth group discussion. Before I used to believe that a good relationship consists of mutual respect, trust and communication between the two partners, not taking in consideration how something as simple as happiness played a role in shaping a relationship. Now I am more inclined to believe that happiness is too, a key to a healthy relationship as it offers the pair the genuine feeling of happiness which should generally be found in relationships. I believed that I was very open-minded to the many opinions were thrown at from the discussion, and was willing for it to shape my own opinions, as I was trying to do the same with others when debating about the role of happiness in a relationship as at first, I didn’t think this was completely necessary. The others in my group may also have had a subtle change in what they used to believe in as at times they were being very contributing to the group, trying to portray what they thought was true.

One thing that I think I did well was that I was able to start a discussion by asking questions and trying to help answer them, alongside my peers. I made sure that everyone was engaged and that they had a chance to contribute their thoughts. One thing that I thought I could have done better was to be able to engage both the groups into this conversation more as I thought many could have or had more to say. To fix this, I could have helped by coming up with a more creative setting or atmosphere such as one of a debate.

By taking on this role, I think that I was able to accomplish much as I was able to speak clearly and was being heard by others more so than I normally am, and this made me think about the impact of speaking, for yourself or for others in an environment which can generally improve. This connected with me via different topics as in most of my other classes, I am not as talkative but since the general discussion was very informative and interesting, I was able to contribute as not only a leader, but a collaborator.