I will go through albums that have recently connected with me and helped full up the time during quarantine, with additional notes on why I feel they have been important to me.

Weyes Blood – Titanic Rising

One of the most incredible albums I’ve listened to over the past years, with a strong produced and recorded album that is perfect for quarantine. It brings back previously popular sounds that create a smooth and grand album.

Kendrick Lamar – Section .80

Not Kendrick Lamar in his most meaningful or deep form, however still one of the most repayable albums due to the free flowing and wild state of the artist. It’s charismatic and out the best in Kendrick’s flow, and also makes the listener feel upbeat and on relaxed at the same time.

Jay-Z – 4:44

One of the more personal albums in Jay-Z’s discography, touching up on previous experiences that deal with justice, power and identity throughout this more stripped back production. He uses authentic, minimalistic beats with sample varying across genres to bring in a solid record.

Nas – Illmatic

A classic. Bombastic beats with a flow like no other, I feel Nas steps up on every verse and hook on this thing. It’s filled with blood pumping beats under Nas’ depiction of New York in the 90’s, and without messing around on the tracklist it’s all killer no filler.

Anderson Paak. – Ventura

One of my favourite RNB albums, every track is soulful and brings in newer pop elements that make it a joy to listen to. I really like the way it’s put together, following the grander Oxnard album, it plays a more mellow tone that brings me back to the album every time.

Kendrick Lamar – Untitled Unmastered

Kendrick in his most raw form, he hits hard on tracks with trap beats and hard hitting kicks, but also cuts back on beats with influences from genres like bossa nova and Latin American influences. On top of all this, he brings a funky final track with ideas about losses and sadness that fly over your head because it sounds so good.

J. Cole – 4 Your Eyez Only

I enjoy cole when he gets personal and brings it away from the usual sounds you hear in rap today. Sure, there are moments here where the production and sound goes in and brings the album life, but there are also more sentimental moments that make you pause and put your feet back on the ground again.

Frank Ocean – Channel Orange

This R&B album bring some the best of Frank Ocean’s vocal ability. He demonstrates understanding on obscure topic that aren’t discussed often, but the true enjoyment comes through the correlation between the instrumentals and the vocals. It’s a wonderful, carefree listen.

C418 – Minecraft Beta Soundtrack

And finally, in my opinion the superior soundtrack to the MC Alpha version. Where do I even start with this? It brings out every good memory of my childhood and draws in my nostalgia to the maximum. However, my love for this soundtrack does not come through nostalgia on its own, but the carefully crafted melodies and passages of music that come along. I personally hold my joy in the music discs that are also included in the game, which brings out the most chilling or joyous electronic tracks I have heard.