The Issue of Banning Religious Items

In class, we recently learnt that some countries have actually banned the burqa, a headscarf that covers everything except the eyes. I was even more shocked to learn my own country – Denmark enforced it too. I had talked to my dad about it and asked why Denmark had enforced this law. He told me that they set it in stone based on the idea that if you are to live in Denmark you should follow the norms of their society. I guess that is why huge displays of a cross, for example, would not be against the law, since Denmark is a predominantly Christian following nation.

Personally, I don’t agree with it at all. I think it takes away the meaning of trying to move forward in a more diverse and accepting society. To be quite honest, I would have thought this to be a law in the 20th century, but not the 21st. Providing a fine for simply wearing what you believe to be part of your religion is unacceptable, as if a Dane walking in a different country with a cross necklace and also having to pay for it.

I certainly agree that some areas of personal rights can be controversial, but religion is most definitely not one of them.