Heating and Cooling by Beth Ann Fennelly

I enjoy Beth Ann Fennelly’s compilation of short stories from her marriage. She is able to make something interesting out of very mundane events in her married life, I find that to be unique. She is able to make something captivating although it is very simple. I think the reason to this is because I am able to find them relatable, although I am not married, while reading the “Married Love” series I find myself recalling similar events with family or friends.

Furthermore, I find that her short stories contrast Sappho, Sappho’s poems are about longing, whereas Fennelly already has what Sappho longs for. This shows the contrasting views on love, as Sappho often makes love appear difficult, whereas Fennelly has portrayed it differently. The “Married Love” series makes love appear simple yet fulfilling.

However, similar to Sappho they both show traits of selfishness, Sappho longs for someone and we are able to see this jealousy in her poems. Fennelly, shows selfishness in “Sweet Nothing” as it is evident that she said “I love you” for her future self.