Reflection 1: Identity

In the first English Language and Literature lesson we spoke about identities. Mostly about our own ones. How do we define our identity and how might others see us? We used the Starburst Identity Chart to show what we thought, the front for right now and the back for us in 9th grade.

Afterwards we talked about the following questions, and I came up with these answers.

What has changed? What has stayed the same?

For me the biggest change is that I grew up more. Two years ago I was really energetic, I’m still extroverted, but we all grew up to be a little bit more calmer and more serious. Another thing that has changed is my organisation. I’m way more structured and organised nowadays.

To what extent do identities change over time? Why? 

I believe that identities change over time, new experiences and certain life stages can shape your identity in every direction. The essential points of who you are will never drastically change.

Do we have one fixed identity or multiple?

Having multiple identities is common, we usually adapt to our environment. For example, if we are in a group of people with a lot of energy we tend to be more energetic as well. If we then get into a group of people that is calmer and silent, you adapt to them as well. Many people hide their “true” identity until they know people better, so we are constantly adapting to our surroundings.

To what extent does this text (Starburst Identity Chart) represent your full identity?

I think that it does not completely represent me. If someone would give it to another person they could not know who I really am. In the chart you can only see a few points of an identity with many facets and the way others see you does often not match with your identity as you define it. To get to know someone you have to meet the person instead of just looking at a chart.

Can you suggest a text that can more completely capture your identity?

Honestly, I think I can’t. Right now I’m still from the opinion that you cannot present an identity in a text, but maybe I just haven’t found a text where I see myself in.

How do graphic elements in this text contrast to show multiple perspectives?

The chart shows your own perspective, how you receive yourself and how you wish other would see you. The arrows pointing towards the middle is the way others see and maybe judge you. Both point of views are interesting when talking about identities.

In what ways can the loss and search for identity be represented in this text? 

Looking at the change of identities over time, might it be 9th to 11th grade, will show the loss or search for identity. We gain and loose so much over the years that it will also show in our identity.