S3 Episode 6: Happily Divorced

To what extent does Esther Perel successfully use the elements of a podcast?

Element 1: Central Idea
– Divorce being able to be something positive
” What stands out here is that the two people in the couple are actually getting along much better separated and divorced than they did when they were married. That in itself is not uncommon”

Element 2: Play to an audience
– Couples or married people, relatability and advice apply for them: “The divorce in terms of the infidelity was a little more complicated because I feel like that was the only way”
“You live apart, but you are together. You could say, “We are divorced,” or you could say, “We have a new marriage. We get the best of each other. We don’t have to deal with too much of the grind of each other. ”
– American: “The fastest growing couple in America is the LAT”
– apr. 30-40 years old(parents): “…reorganization of the family with active engagement of both parents.”,

Element 3: Regular Schedules
– Uploads a new episode every week:
Nov. 14, 2019 – Happily Divorced
Nov. 7, 2019 – Mom and Monique
Oct. 31, 2019 – A Romantic Revival
Oct. 24, 2019 – The other Woman

Element 4: Structure
Introduction: 
– Esther Parel introduces the general issue of the couple: ” They are divorced. They are two divorce lawyers. They’ve done it in a very good way according to both of them”
– Woman (speaker 4) gives her opinion: ” I like where we are. I like the type of family that we have been able to build. It’s a little non-traditional, but it works for us.”
– Man (speaker 1) gives his opinions: “We’ve remained very much committed to not recapitulating what we see our clients do with being positional and fighting about gas grills and every little sweater.”

Text body:
– Analysis of their issue: “What we are originally drawn to is often what becomes the source of conflict later. It’s just because you get a little more than what you bargained for” ”
“You come up with a thought, you just blurt out something, and then it becomes a reality, and then it becomes a truth, and then it becomes a decision.”

Conclusion:
– Generalisation of the specific couple to appeal to the audience: “What is clear to me is that there is no one size fits all, and that we’ve never invested more in our intimate relationships than we do today, and we’ve never crumbled more under the expectations that we bring to our relationships”

Element 5: Authenticity
– Disclaimer before the podcast begins: “But their voices and their stories are real”
–  The relatability of the couple: “y. She’s not the first woman who has told me, “I needed to be married. I didn’t want to be married. You need to be married to be able to be a whole woman, to be able to have a family,”
“You’ve got the marriage that you wanted to have but didn’t think that you could have because that’s not how you define marriage.”
– Truth and quality of Perel’s judgements: “My work is to accompany people in their quest for what will be a meaningful, thriving relationship in which they can find themselves alive, and vibrant, and vital because ultimately my big why is that it is the quality of our relationships that determines the quality of our lives.”