The corner kick in football is awarded when the whole ball passes the goal line. The Olympic kick is when the ball from either corner of the field travels in the air and enters the goal. In order to achieve this, you need to take the Magnus effect and the position of people on the field, these two combined, it seems like an impossible goal to shoot.

Magnus effect- The force exerted on a rapidly spinning cylinder or sphere moving through air or another fluid in a direction at an angle to the axis of spin. This force is responsible for the swerving of balls when hit or thrown with spin.

This is why it is underrated, this relates to how we see small things with little potential and then how it can turn everything around.

Video

Corner kick in Football- The science behind it- Is it impossible?

2 thoughts on “Corner kick in Football- The science behind it- Is it impossible?

• 6th September 2018 at 12:24 am
    Permalink

Even though I don’t play football, I found it interesting how you decided to talk about corner kicks and how they might be impossible. After reading your post, I want to know your opinion on whether or not corner kicks are impossible and the reasons you think that way.

Reply
  • 6th September 2018 at 12:34 am
    Permalink

I never knew about this befoe and I think that it is really cool how the magnus effect causes the ball to go in the goal from a corner kick. As a person who like physics a lot, I can really appreciate the forces that go behind a corner kick. Maybe next time try to focus on how this force was discovered

Reply