Student Portfolio

The Story of My Learning Starts Here

Project Week Initial Reflection

| 0 comments

For project week, I am going to TRCRC, an organization based in Malaysia aiming to restore the rainforest that has been damaged throughout the years in Borneo and other locations. The location I am travelling to is Merisuli Sabah, one of its locations in Borneo.

The learning outcomes I aim to achieve on this trip are LO6 Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance. LO3 Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience. and LO2 Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process.

LO3 Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience.

My trip is significant to me as it ties in closely with the school expedition I chose to go on in Grade 9 to Danau Girang Field Centre in Borneo. The location of Merisuli and the field centre is very close, and the climate and environment is very much similar. However, the main difference between these organizations is that TRCRC focuses on rainforest restoration (ie. tree planting and nursing) while Danau Girang focuses on protecting wildlife living in the rainforest. Through hands on investigation of all the aspects of the Borneo rainforest, I will have a more in depth understanding of the aspects of rainforest conservation and restoration. I am also able to bring knowledge from before to here. Another difference in this CAS experience is that the communication and planning had to be done by us, instead of the teachers. By doing research by myself, I demonstrated how I initiate and plan this CAS experience.

LO6 Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance

Rainforest restoration is an issue of global significance. By learning how organizations in South East Asia operate to accomplish this goal, I can potentially apply this knowledge to other locations in the world that suffers from loss of habitat in rainforests.

LO2 Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process.

Planning a trip on our own is a very challenging process. We have to take into account everything from food to transportation. And all the details must be planned carefully to achieve the maximum potential of this trip.