Challenges within CAS #LO2

What has been the biggest challenge within CAS so far? What might you do to improve this?

The journey through CAS has so far been an experience that has encouraged my self-development in many areas.

One big challenge that I overcame was decision making for my activities, creativity and service components. Coming into this school, the extensive list of extracurricular activities available was slightly overwhelming initially and so it took me a lot of time to develop an understanding of each different category. Being able to decide which service to do was definitely a difficulty and a challenge for me as I wanted to participate in a service that not only would be enjoyable and rewarding for me but also have some correlation to the fields of study want to pursue in the future. I eventually narrowed the list down to two services and signed up for both of them as my first choice had a maximum of 4 slots available. I’m glad with service allocated, despite it not being my first choice as Cognitive Rehabilitation with Apex Harmony Lodge is a service that works with helping people with Alzheimers and Dementia and has a strong relationship with the work occupational therapists do. In particular, I was looking for a service that worked with people in need and also has a connection to occupational therapy and this service definitely ticked both those boxes. I also signed up for Culturama and Pottery for my creativity aspects and Boxing (Muay Thai) as an activity.

Following some discussion with my parents, I was encouraged to make the best use of the school’s resources and participate in a wide variety of activities to expand my exposure. As I signed up for service (Cognitive Rehabilitation with Apex Harmony Lodge), Kolkata GC, Culturama, Boxing and also pottery, I found that my time every day was often allocated to completing a certain task. Despite Kolkata GC and Culturama occurring at lunchtime, it affected my energy levels throughout the rest of the day which impacted my productivity. Time Management was definitely a major challenge with managing CAS. As I was used to no extracurricular activities during or after school, I found that my time to complete homework each day was reduced by a lot. Balancing my activities as well as academics was difficult in the first few weeks as I adapted to changes and slowly built a routine. To improve this, I will develop a schedule to ensure that all my homework can be completed in time and by modifying my activity load in the next season if necessary.

Personal Profile
CAS