Service – End of Season 4 #LO6 #LO2

For service during season 4, we mainly collaborated remotely through Google Hangout calls every Monday afternoon as a replacement for our usual weekly service sessions. We were able to assign each group member a different task to complete to improve out service portfolio as it will be presented to the following cohort of grade 10 students who will sign up for service. Working remotely was challenging in terms of making sure that each student was taking care of their tasks and staying motivated. We overcame this by sending a brief summary of the meeting on the Hangout chat along with a deadline.

I was assigned to develop the formatting of the portfolio including its theme, and also managing and organising the existing posts into corresponding categories and tags. I found this task rather challenging, especially creating a visually engaging website that aligns with the nature of our service. As I was developing this page, I researched into the impact of dementia around the world and this was a very eye opening experience for me as I learned that around 50 000 000 people in the world live with dementia with 10 000 000 new cases each year. This made me realise the significance of the service I take part in.

As I had transitioned into the communications manager in the service, I also took time to write a service descriptor to represent the work we do. This allowed me to reflect on all of the different experiences from the past year and all the achievements we have made as a group.