Culturama Argentina Reflection 1

Since last year I had a great time at being a dancer of Culturama China, I really want to continue and extend the experience this year by taking a leadership role. Fortunately, I’m selected as the assistant dance leader of Culturama Argentina, and I’m very passionate and excited to be involved in this. Me and my partner had been working on the choreography and planning for the costumes before the summer holiday. Even though we were not in the same country during the holiday, we still contacted each other frequently via social media to discuss the details of the show. I’m also in charge of buying the costumes, since the goods from the online website ‘Taobao’, which is from my home country China, is cheaper and more convenient. As soon as we confirmed the dancers, I sent an email to them asking for their shoe sizes, weights and heights, in order to update the costume sizes with the business. This process makes me feel very anxious and uptight because of the uncertainties of shipping. I need to make sure that the costumes would arrive on time, but at the same time not to exceed the budget. Therefore, I did lots of calculations and listed out all the possibilities to find out the comparatively cheaper and faster way to buy the costume. Finally I decided to ask my friend who is coming to Singapore in one week’s time to bring some of my costumes along with her, and let the rest of the costumes to be shipped to Singapore, so that it would be less heavier and I could minimum the shipping cost.

So far, I have used my commitment as a driving force for my leadership, as I need to be responsible for all of my dancers and to present the best version of the show. I also really enjoy this process, especially when teaching the dancers during the rehearsals, because it gives me a totally new experience compared to the previous Culturama when I was the one being taught. This huge passion gives me motivation to be always actively involved in this activity.  To run the rehearsals effectively, me and my partner  plan thoroughly before each session to make sure that we could finish teaching them within seven weeks’ time and still have enough time to practice. This requires strong commitment and passion since as the assistant dance leader, I cannot miss a single rehearsal. The good thing is, the dancers all put loads of effort on learning the dance, and they learn it really fast, so that I feel very proud every time when the rehearsal ends, feeling that everything is worth the effort. This also motivates me to stay committed to the activity. I’m really looking forward to the final show! 🙂

Link to the initial audition video for dance leader selection:

Link to the first rehearsal video:

Learning Objective 4: COMMITMENT (Showing perseverance, resilience)