YMCA Student Care Service Reflection 2

This was our first time meeting those little clients in the school. We had just being told that they would come half an hour before the service started, which made us kind of being in a rush. Although it was unexpected, I think we still did a great job in this session and have lots of fun with the children.

We have completely changed our plan because the venue wasn’t set up before their arrival, and there wasn’t enough space for them to play volleyball like what we had planned for our first session. However, we found that there were lots of chairs, so that we just applied them and changed the warm-up to ‘music chair’, which could bring up their energy. The children apparently loved games, because they were so passionate throughout the activity. What fascinated me the most is that although they were being competitive in the game, they still cheered for each other and no one was feeling down even if they failed the game, which makes me feel a strong sense of friendship and warmth. I think this is related to their close bond with each other as a class, so that in the future we can design more teamwork activities for them to strengthen their collaboration.

After the warm-up, we did the dancing session, which some other group had planned, but I found that two kids weren’t very engaged in this activity, so that I asked them privately if they didn’t like to dance or not (because I tried to avoid to embarrass them). Therefore, I discussed with my team and we decided to change the activity that everyone would be keen to it. Based on their passion towards the first activity, we decided to do something similar, which is the duck duck goose. I’m impressed to see how our activities went on so well even if we didn’t do what we planned to do. I think this is because that we were always aware of their reactions and feedback, and communicated with each other effectively to come up with a temporary plan, just like what I did during that dance activity. Therefore, good collaboration was a crucial factor leading to the success of our activities.

From this experience, I am also aware of my ethical decisions. For example, when I was asking the two girls whether or not they like to dance, I first observed their reactions from a far place, and then after I confirmed that they were not very keen at it, I went to them quietly without being noticed by the others. I talked to them softly and gently, because I understand that they might be shy or unconfident. I think this is very important because children can be very vulnerable, and we have the duties to protect them from anything that could hurt their mental or physical health in order to let them grow up happily. We shouldn’t demand them because we are elder than them. Instead, everyone should be treated equally, and so are these children. This ethical belief guided me throughout my interactions with these children.

LO3: INITIATIVE (Planning & Initiating activities)

LO5: COLLABORATION (Working together to achieve an outcome)

LO7: ETHICS (Considering the ethical implications of actions)