CultuRama Jamaica

CultuRama Jamaica 2018-2019, Initial reflection
LO1 Awareness : (Increased awareness of strengths and areas for growth)

During the first season of school I am taking part in CultuRama as a dancer in Jamaica. CultuRama is a a dance performance held at my school where we celebrate the arts from different countries and cultures through the form of dance. Previously, I took part in another dance performance during Grade 10 however it was on a much smaller scale and required less practice than CultuRama.

Taking part in CultuRama this year has allowed me to step out of my comfort zone as I tend to shy away from opportunities to perform in front of an audience. My involvement in this activity has made me aware that I am very committed, although we haven’t had many rehearsals yet I can see that I am driven to improve. I also decided to audition for Jamaica rather than India which is my home country as I am eager to learn more about a culture I was unfamiliar with and I’m glad my dance leaders inform us on the relevance of certain dance moves with regards to the culture we are embracing.

I still struggle to collaborate with the entire group as I am unfamiliar with some of them. I need to improve on communicating with my group in order to form strong bonds within the group. I am looking forward to completing the dance and performing in front of a large audience to show what we have been working on.