Cara Jackson: Personal Statement

Thursday, 14th June 2018

Throughout the past year, I have learnt more about myself as a learner and as a student. I have discovered that I need to keep on top of everything to be able to relax at times.

In the past, I have aspired to be a good friend, because I have had some friends who weren’t as good a friend as I thought and I would never want to be that kind of person towards one of my friends. When thinking about the skills and qualities that we look at in all our classes, I think my strengths include being the quality of commitment to care, and I hope that this is one of my strengths, as I would like to think of myself as a caring and kind person and friend. Another strength could be Creative. I would like to think of myself as a creative person, that can come up with ideas to get out or into a situation. My interests include baking and figure skating. I enjoy making food, but I enjoy the baking of sweet foods aspect of cooking more than making savoury foods. I have been figure skating for three years now, and I quite enjoy it. However, I do not think I will figure skate as a job however coaching is always an option.

I was born in England. However, I only lived there for the first four years of my life, and I don’t remember much of it. Since then, I have only lived in Singapore. If we stayed in England, I believe that life would probably be very different now. For starters, I wouldn’t be going to UWCSEA. I think I would have different views towards certain things, for example, I would feel as passionate about helping kids in Cambodia have a better life. I believe that my family have influenced me more than anything else. Their values have helped to shape my values, and they have helped me become who I am today. For example, their openness and how caring they are has influenced how open to new things and how caring I am. I try to be as kind as possible and be the best possible me that I can.

My short term aspirations include getting my grades up to 5s or more so that I can push myself harder to be my best. This goal is important to me so that I can prove to myself that I can do better and I can do all my subjects, not just a handful of them. My long-term aspiration is to open a bakery in England after university; this is important to me because it gives me something to dream about, to look towards and plan towards. I like to think that I can do anything I would like to in the future, and I would want to do something that I enjoy, which is baking. I think that this is why I have this goal.

With my long-term aspiration of opening a bakery somewhere in the UK, I think that growing up baking and in the kitchen a lot, with my grandmothers and my mum, has influenced and led to this specific aspiration, also my love for baking and creating something that is immediately rewarding is something that I love doing. I also love making people happy, and when I make baked goods for my friends and family, they always smile and say they love them and this makes me happy as well; seeing my friends and family happy.

For my long-term aspiration of opening a bakery, I am saving up for going to baking and cooking classes, I am also doing the class Enterprise and Food and Nutrition at school, which means I will have the knowledge that will help me in the future with the opening of a business and with the nutritious and health aspect. I may also go to culinary school if that is what I need to do. I also have some excellent cooking books to help me with the technical aspect of baking and cooking, and I hope to get a job at a bakery in the near future, to help me with understanding more of what goes on in a bakery.