Ending the Extended Essay – Final Reflection

I think overall my method could be improved to make the results more reliable. Given the surprising randomness of my results, I had to connect the dots on my own using a simulation but by doing this I learned so much more about the situation and I feel like my knowledge on the topic deepened. I learned from the simulation that its good to take a step back to get perspective to push myself two steps forward. Once I started to try to connect the model to the simulation I found myself observing the simulation until such time it hit me that there are standing waves. Those never occurred to me. I also realised that I should have prioritized the quality of data over the efficiency of the method.  If I could do it again I would time myself better so I have more time to collect the data, I’ll try to minimize the impact of interferences within the system and try to take measurements at smaller increments as well. This could help collect more reliable data which can lead to observing a stronger pattern. I would also use different frequency ranges for different speakers, to see a more real-life application. Even though the results were random, I believe that through the scientific method, this experiment can be improved upon and brought closer to the real-life situation using more advanced setups and apparatus. Therefore, I believe that the results could be more fruitful and we can learn more about actual surround sound systems. In order to extend it even further, I would even like to explore the areas that weren’t observed before.

EE Interim Reflection

Unfortunately, I hadn’t done very well in the experiment because I hadn’t considered factors that later produced inconclusive data. Additionally, there were a few misconceptions in my introduction and background information in the essay itself, such as the double slit experiment actually differs to a double source experiment.

Looking ahead, my EE supervisor helped me find a simulator that will show a pattern for the type of system I am trying to model. I can compare my model to this simulation to understand what’s happening in the system. Also, considering that my data isn’t conclusive, I would need to retake my data for more reliable data.

First reflection on EE

I realised my EE will require a multi-dimensional approach. Since my topic is unique, it’s difficult to find sources that explain the experiment. My model mimics areas which use surround sound systems consisting 4 speakers facing a common centre. So far I have done basic research and I think primary research would be more meaningful. In reality, sound interference patterns differ from the theoretical because of environmental factors like echo, diminishing intensities etc. I need to start doing experimentation to get an idea of how the model works. Before conducting the experiment itself however, I must first find a plausible model to compare my results to so that I start off with a hypothesis and use proper scientific method in my EE.

My progress on the EE after EE day

For me today was a very research and planning oriented day and I gained a lot of clarity as of how I need to pursue the EE in both theoretical as well as experimental aspects of it. At the start I was expecting to derive a very complex equation for the model that I am testing but I was able to simplify it so much so that I can apply the knowledge I have learnt in class and be able to creatively apply it to the model. I’m quite satisfied with this simplified version because it makes the process so much easier for me and I think I can get a much better job done for the EE. Of course this doesn’t mean that I have everything sorted out and it will all be smooth sails from here, I will have difficulties in my experiment which can affect the accuracy and precision of my results. I have assessed a few of those today such as the locations of where to observe the interference patterns, which I have narrowed down to 4 lines where I will be observing the intensity of the sounds coming together. I have also thought about the impacts of the surroundings on my experiment and how I would aim to minimise their influence. I’m proud of the fact that I have gotten a big mental blockage of this experiment out of the way, which was posing to be a very big hurdle for me but after persevering through that and getting this research done, I think I can now continue to build a model and plan it out so that I can start experimenting as soon as I can. I hope to start experimenting and gathering data by next week, which would be ideal, so I will need to figure out what I need and how I need to set it up. I have a basic model ready and I have started to think about what to write for the EE as well, which I aim to start writing up soon as well.

Skip to toolbar