Science Society

I decided to join Science Society because I want to study the sciences in my future, and I was hoping that science society would be a good way to meet others who had similar interests as me. I also thought that it would be a good opportunity to hopefully learn about some interesting new concepts that I otherwise wouldn’t have become exposed to.

The first meeting of Science Society was mainly for introductory purposes: we introduced ourselves and the areas of science we were interested in. We then listened to a presentation and short video clip of the Voyager 1 launch on September 5th 1977. We split into groups to discuss and then make a mini-presentation about a science topic, and my group chose the Wave Particle Accelerator (The formal name: The Large Hadron Collider) in CERN’s research facilities.

Over the past few weeks, we have covered a variety of topics such as Robots and AI, Pulsars, Space Time, and Biomimicry. Each time, we spend the first part listening to a presentation that gives a general overview before then going on the do a small amount of discussion and research in groups to further the discussion. We ask questions about the ethics behind a scientific discovery, or about interesting uses/applications.

For example, this website here has great examples of biomimicry in our everyday lives: including how biomimicry is a part of transportation, structural design (ventilation), and military technology (camouflage).

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/biomimicry-examples/