Football Reflection 3

Last weekend, we competed in SEASAC in KL at the Alice Smith School and ended up winning first place. It was the first time that a team sport had won a girls SEASAC at east so it was extremely exciting.

We drew the first game which was quite disappointing and not an ideal start to the tournament. This encouraged me to lead a team discussion to reflect on what we were doing wrong and how we had to change our behaviour in order to be successful. As a leader, I took it upon myself, collating my experience throughout the year, to lead by example and demonstrate what we were asking of the team. This was a moment where I felt more developed and comfortable leading than the beginning of the season which was a key moment that showed my development of new skills (LO2), having reflected on my areas for growth (LO1).

This discussion ended up successful, ultimately bringing us to the final. Here, we started off in a similar shaky manner, going down 1-0 and achieving 2-2 by half time. During this small break, we had a similar team discussion to highlight what was working and what needed to be improved, as well as encouraging each other to really feel like a team. We ended up winning the final 4-2 and in my opinion, the stark difference between the two teams was to do with our teamwork and collaboration which we developed throughout the season, peaking in the final competition.

Reflecting back now, through my discussions with coaches and the rest of my team, I am really able to notice a difference in my attitude and perception of the team as well as my style of play which has now changed to be much more team focused. I feel as though I have become a much better and more successful leader because of it and I think that the skills I have developed will be of use to me both in other sports but also other aspects of my life.