PSE End of Unit Reflection #2

1. Self Reflection- What were some of the most interesting discoveries you made about yourself through the Myers Briggs and Holland Code tests? How has your planning for the future changed or stayed the same during this unit? (100 words).

My main takeaway from the Myers Briggs and Holland Code tests is that I know more about myself than I give myself credit for. Before taking the tests, there were certain statements I would use when asked to describe myself. I would say I was extraverted, enterprising, I liked to lead situations. I had also vaguely labelled myself as a person of many natures. I was adaptable in the sense that I thought rationally when I was required to but also knew how to exercise emotional intellect when the situation called for it. I think that this was well reflected in my Holland code, and Myers Briggs codes, yes codes, as I kept receiving two different codes based on when I took the test.

After attending various alumni fairs and talking to adults I know, I found that a lot of the characteristics I have fall in line with business/entrepreneurship, which was the career paths I was considering beforehand.

2. Self Advocacy- Professional relationships. Name two or three important skills you learned about maintaining positive professional relationships and how will you use them in the future (50 words).

I think my main learning was that exercising a healthy balance of empathy and also guarding your own self-interest is required in any professional relationship. The importance of acts of respect also became very apparent to me, whether it was simply greeting them at the start of a message, or making sure to honour commitments and time, especially when asking for meetings etc. At the same time, I realised that its important to address problems that need to be addressed, otherwise you risk being seen as someone whose time and energy is less valuable than it is.

3. Informed decisions- Thinking about your future 5, 10, or 15 years from now, what are some themes/aspects of life that you want to keep central to your planning? What are some key values that will drive your decision making? (100 words) 

I think something that will be central to my future for a long long time will be balance. I think something that is extremely important to me is making sure the different facets of my life are all given equal importance, so that I don’t end up spiralling and neglecting essential aspects of my identity and life on a whole. In addition to this, I believe keeping organisation and order at my core will help me frame my goals better and therefore achieve them more efficiently. This is because I tend to be extremely ambitious about things I’m invested in, and if I can frame those thoughts and ideas and give them structure, I reduce the risk of burning out and switching to doing the next thing that catches my eye.

One Reply to “PSE End of Unit Reflection #2”

1. Patrick Desbarats says: Reply

Aryan,
    Wow – thanks for shoring your thoughts and reflections on our Back to the Future unit. YOu have some very well developed ideas about “balance” and pasting attention to the different aspects of your life to achieve happiness.

Hope you had a great break.

Pat