Are there words you cannot say?

make some notes about words you don’t want to hear, want to say, and where this discomfort comes from. Think about (and write about) Ta Nehisi Coates’ words. How much do you agree or disagree with him?

I’m usually not the type of person to swear although I don’t find it uncomfortable when my friends or peers swear around me. I feel that my discomfort with swearing comes from my family. My family never swear except for the occasional ‘shit’ here and there. Although they have never told me to not swear, we have a silent agreement that I don’t. I think because my mom grew up speaking Chinese dialects and used English a lot less, she’s unfamiliar and uncomfortable with cussing in English.  Also,  since my dad’s a Catholic, and Catholics believe that cursing is ‘calling evil upon God’, I think swearing was not common in his household.

Ta Nehisi, an American author and journalist, believes that words don’t hold any meaning without context which is why depending on the situation (who, what, where, why) swearing can be okay. I agree with him as I find it normal and comfortable hearing my friends swear around me and even at me, but if my parents ever did it would be an entirely different story. There’s this silent acknowledgment for which situations a word can be used. However, the problem with this is that there will always be people who don’t notice or acknowledge other people’s stance with the words they are using, which is why swearing is a very tricky thing to handle.