Culturama – Final reflection (Lo5)

LO5-Demonstrate the skills and recognize the benefits of working collaboratively.

The biggest challenge the group ran into was when our dance leader was sick during the full dress rehearsal. I am part of the Aceh dance which is performed without background music, relying on the dancers to sing. This makes it quite difficult for everyone to follow the rythm and be in-sync. At this point,  we had barely got the choreo down and only a few had memorized the singing part. I messed up and to say the least we didn’t do that good. Seeing all the other amazing and professional-looking dances beforehand made me feel so embarrassed. Everyone else felt the same as well. However, we slowly started to come to terms with it and realized that it didn’t matter. We messed up, so what? All we could do now is focus on the future, and we did. The team practiced and everyone put 100% of their effort in.  We also began to communicate much better and talk about which parts we needed to improve on. It not only helped us become more in sync but it also made us more energetic and excited for the future performance.

There were 2 runs of the show during dress rehearsal so we wanted to make it up during the second one. Although it wasn’t the best it was for sure a lot better. I was proud of us and I’m still shocked when I say I didn’t feel as embarrassed or worried about what others were saying behind my back than I thought I was going to be. I had a fun time that day with good people, and it felt nice not caring about anyone else.

The performances were even more fun,  especially the last night where the crowd was super supportive and cheered everyone on. Our last performance was truly our best and I couldn’t have been happier. Although our dance could’ve been better, it didn’t really bother me. My dance leader and fellow dancers were really nice and supportive the entire time, and when we messed up during rehearsals, I learned not to be so scared of other people’s opinions and just focus on what I think and want.

I couldn’t have asked for a better first Culturama experience!