Representing People Through Different Forms of Media

When it comes with representing people through literary texts or film/movies I would say it really depends on who is representing those groups of people. An example of this would be how the movie “Crazy Rich Asians” represented asian culture. There are many tweets online of peoples opinions about how Crazy Rich Asians mainly used American Chinese actors to represent Singaporeans. At the same time, the Twitter community commented on how the movie only represented the Chinese asian community. In my opinion the movie is called “Crazy Rich Asians” not “Every Asian” so I would say that it is fair that they would mainly focus on a specific group of “Wealthy Asians” rather than the entirety of asian culture.

In terms of representing a group, I would say that those who are directly involved in that group should have some sort of say when it comes to representing the group of people. For example, the writer of Crazy Rich Asians, Kevin Kwan, is a localĀ  Singaporean and knows about the whole general idea when it comes to the whole culture of Singapore. At the same time if someone else were to try convey a culture that they are not familiar with it would be different or sometimes even factually wrong when they try represent that culture. An example would be if I were to try represent Filipino culture I would be able to pretty well because I am Filipino and I grew up around filipino culture, but if I were to represent Japanese culture, it would be weird for me to represent Japan when I know nothing about their culture.

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/08/10/is-crazy-rich-asians-asian-enough/?noredirect=on

The article above goes into deeper depth about how Crazy Rich Asians represent a specific group rather than the entire asian culture. – Linking it to the first paragraph.