Maths and Me

Maths and Me: Student Homework

Marushka Rout, 20/8/18

My name is Marushka and for the last two years I was doing the IGCSE Maths programme. Throughout the course, there were some difficulties for me- specifically with tests- but by the end of the course and right before the exam I felt as though I was proficient enough in each of the topic areas. Ever since I was young, I used to really like maths, although due to various experiences in the past I ended up developing a bit of a disdain towards the subject. Now, however, I’ve bounced back and I find myself enjoying maths a lot more once again. I’m a little nervous about the rigour of the IB Maths SL courses but if I work hard I know I’ll be able to accustom myself to the new topics we’ll cover.

In the past, I’ve realised that I tend to like teaching myself things, and not just in maths. I don’t mind asking for assistance if I need it but I only really do so if I can’t figure something out no matter what I try to do. Any time I was stuck in maths, I would do the rest of the questions and once it came to correcting, I’d look at the mark scheme as it shows ways of how to work out a question. In other cases, I either play around with it to see if I can figure it out spontaneously or I look it up in a textbook or online (often times it’s the latter). I feel like I only really ever ask for help from someone else such as a teacher as a last resort.

I think I would say one of my biggest strengths in mathematics is my diligence since it’s the reason I’ve been able to improve so much in my maths skills over the years, although I personally think that I could work a little more with confidence since I find myself at times slipping a little due to it. Either way, I think it’s something I’ll be able to overcome with time.