CAS Reflection: Activity (Culturama) – Reflection 2

CAS Reflection: Activity

Culturama 2018 Ghana

Reflection 2

Learning Outcome(s):

1. Show commitment to and perseverance in your CAS experiences.

After many weeks of preparation, the final week of performances arrived and I’m honestly really happy with the results. With all the practices and changes with formation and positioning, I believe that we were all able to give a great performance, and we all had so much fun while doing so too!

From watching the video back, I can already see a lot more confidence in the way I’m moving and I’m really glad about that. As I mentioned in my first reflection, I found it tricky to keep up with the rest of the other dancers as well as the fact that I got nervous frequently while dancing. I would say that by dedicating myself to running through the steps frequently with my friends helped me build up my confidence. Additionally, once I started becoming more comfortable with the moves, I began having a lot more fun at each practice session since I wasn’t as worried about making mistakes.

This in turn allowed me to become more comfortable with performing on stage, especially during our first dress rehearsal. During this rehearsal, we had to run through all the countries’ performances in front of the entire cast as we were all working on positioning and order/run throughs. Hearing the applause as well as the constructive criticism from those who weren’t a part of Ghana’s dance helped with building my confidence on stage to a point where I became unafraid of performing in front of large audiences. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed being near the front for one section of the dance whereas prior to this moment I was completely dreading the thought of being in front.

The entire experience of Culturama was tiring, yet incredible for me as it allowed me to work towards overcoming some of my weaknesses as well as letting me try out an activity which I’ve always admired and been curious about. Even though this experience doesn’t make me a dancer, I still have gained a much deeper appreciation for dancing than I thought I ever could by acknowledging the amount of preparation and how physically taxing it can be at times. Overall, I’m really glad I got the opportunity to take part this year and I’m even thinking of doing so next year if I’m able to make the time for it!