Article: How will Justin Trudeau’s blackface photos affect Canada’s election? 

Recently, Justin Trudeau: The Prime Minister of Canada of 4 years, went under fire for wearing brownface in highschool on 3 different occasions. The article goes over the possible impact of his past actions on the votes in the upcoming election. The evidence of these instances come has come as a shock to Canadians and many of his other supporters as he is known for being respectful to other cultures and having a diverse cabinet. Often seen to speak against offensive comments made by members of the other party, Trudeau also faces skepticism on his “higher moral ground”. Indian members part of the liberal party of Canada looks down upon his actions similar to many Indians in Canada.

Being an Indian, a politically correct individual would presumably be against his actions. However, I am apathetic towards his actions. In my opinion, the situation during which his actions were made justifies the same. The backlash towards actions that involve changing skin color primarily correlate to the racist trend of blackface meant to insult and demean those of African descent. On the other hand, Trudeau had work brown-face during an Arabian nights party and when he dressed up as the singer of Day-0 a traditional Jamaican song. I do believe that his actions were distasteful and could be considered as racist. however, there is a large possibility that at the time he wore the paint for theatrical purposes or as he said: “because he was enthusiastic about costumes”. In my opinion, it is simply irrational to judge an evidently racially respectful  individual who has made many attempts to counter racism in his country based on a few poor choices in their past. Though I understand that his actions may have an impact on the lives of minority groups in Canada, I do not believe that it is a strong enough reason for people to stop supporting the Canadian Liberal party that has been widely appreciated for its progressiveness and steps taken to counter issues of inequality.