What kind of music have you been listening to recently? How do certain songs or artists make you feel? What songs do you think are important or significant right now?

With the pace and the dynamic of high-school life in metropolitan Singapore having been completely shifted, it is fair to say that many facets of daily life have been reevaluated. “Music is the soundtrack to life”, a quote we have all ran into at least once allows us to expand on the idea of synchronicity between situation and music at the moment. Personally, my preferred genre of music has always lied in the domain of upbeat hip hop, the depth of the lyrical components present in the song allows me to have a positive yet oftentimes reflective outlook on life. It can often be noticed that these songs reflect stories or versions of the artist’s life in a lyrical manner, and though we may not be able to resonate with the lyrics at all times, it does allow us to sympathize with those experiences hence evoking a higher quality emotions. However, with the current situation, I have found myself reaching for something bigger than this, not music and can sympathize with, but music I can resonate with, something more introspective. This has lead me to listen to more “alternate pop” a genre that is considered to be more intellectually challenging and less mainstream owing to its originality. During this period, I have ventured into the world of alternative pop with artists such as Rex Orange County. The slow-paced yet introspective truths spoken in the song is something that I can appreciate more now with less on my mind. Songs that have particularly stood out to me include “Sunflower” and “four seasons”.

I listen to music the most while commuting, and since most need for commute has been singlehandedly eliminated due to the pandemic state, I am required to shift my music taste to something that matches the current dynamic of the situation we are living in. During commute I prefer listening to tunes songs that don’t let me catch a breath – that allows me to understand that I have stuff to do as soon as the ride is over, that reminds me of how fast-paced life is. 

Symere Woods, (AKA Lil Uzi Vert), had released both parts of his new album “Eternal Atake” early last month. He is an artist that I am fond of and was excited to listen to. The album utilizes a myriad of beats to foreshadow his lyrics, the entire album is high-octane with each song better than the last. however, listening to the album was something I had to take time out to do, it was not something I could passively do as music this energetic had no place in this new rendition of a daily life. In the quest of finding my middle ground I reverted to my go-to playlists and finally realized that Kanye West was the perfect balance. Kanye West, American rapper and a staple in most of my playlists fulfill my yearning for a deeper sense of emotion. His songs often contain plain dialogue or interludes. Though his political statements have often been scrutinized, his perspective on life is something to be appreciated. His songs are short and most songs sample old genres of music off of which he continues with his unique sense of lyrical genius.