WHO WE ARE

Starting in 2015, Voices for Refugees stands for and with the unspoken. Our aim is to raise awareness and advocate for refugee rights and human rights around the world. Students have the opportunity to discuss, research and take action on issues of importance where disempowered groups have been denied a voice. We also host annual events, our most well known being Write for Rights and World Refugee Day. Finally, we aim to contact and work with various local organisations to educate ourselves further on refugee and human rights, and take direct action to support them. Together, we aim to connect with and give a voice to refugees and marginalised groups all across the world. 

2015

Voices for Refugees started in 2015 as a student initiative for the Syrian Refugee Crisis. In solidarity with Amnesty’s own Write for Rights marathon, the students of Voices for Refugees organised the very first Write for Rights in UWCSEA.

2016

In 2016, Voices for Refugees successfully started a second Write for Rights.

2017

During the 3rd Write for Rights event, we launched our website tracker for the letters. We also hosted a talk with guest speaker, Loretta Dalpozzo, a journalist who had just come from the Rakhine State.

2018

We hosted an exhibit for World Refugee Day of that year as well as our 4th Write for Rights event which marks the first year of opening up cases to other focus groups. The event also ran in unison with International Human Rights Day and simultaneously with BIA, Because I Am’s event.

2019

For World Refugee Day 2019, we hosted an event in solidarity with the UNHCR’s Step with Refugees with people stepping with refugees around our campus. We also hosted our 5th Write for Rights, in collaboration with other focus groups with their cases. This also marks the first year we have coordinated with other UWC colleges especially UWC Dilijan, in Armenia to simultaniously run the event.

2020

We cooperated with Coding for Good (a college service) on their hackathon, called Take Hacktion 2020. We created a storyline for the teams to code, and ran a workshop to inform participants on refugee issues.

2021

Despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we hosted our 6th Write for Rights remotely, over the span of one week, and involved students from Grade 3 onwards. This was the first year in which we planned the event in collaboration with two other focus groups, Amala and Traffick Light. We also continued to work with Coding for Good on an updated version of the Migrant Trail game.

2022

In 2022, we managed to host a successful film screening, which allowed individuals who hadn’t previously been exposed to the stories of refugees to see the state of their lives and the way in which migrating into Jordan from Syria worked. We also contineud to work with Coding for Good on our refugee journey game, developing a storyline.  

Previous and Current Members

Ananya

Hi, I’m Ananya. I joined voices in grade 10 and now am in grade 12, acting as a chair. I joined voices because I thought the work they did was valuable and always stuck out to me. As a member of the group, I’ve been able to understand concepts about displacement that I didn’t know about before, as well as work on projects I hadn’t had experience with, like developing the storyboard for a video game or running a film screening event. 

Rhea

Hi! My name is Rhea.  I joined Voices for Refugees in 2017 (Grade 9). I initially joined Voices because I realised that I didn’t know much about refugees. As the refugee crisis was a recurring topic in the news at the time, I wanted to learn more about a pressing issue. Over the course of a few years, I’ve learnt about the causes of refugee crises, the challenges that refugees face, and most importantly, why we must support refugee rights. Write for Rights is my favourite event, because of its reach and impact on our school community. I like that we are able to advocate for global refugee rights, especially since we write to prominent leaders and figures of influence. 

Sonali

Hello! My name is Sonali. I Joined voices in grade 9. I joined initially because I had long been interested in the plight and the rights of refugees, and wanted to learn more about how I could get involved. I’ve really enjoyed learning more about the issues we tackle, and doing my part to tackle them and raise awareness about them. I had hoped to get even more people involved in our events and really cement our understanding of refugee rights and issues as a group. 

Heidi

I’m Heidi, I was part of voices for three years. I originally joined as I began hearing about the Rohingya refugee crisis in the news and wanted to find a way I could do something about it. Since being in the group, my knowledge about refugee issues around the world and passion for trying to help out has definitely increased.  As member of the group, I want to help plan successful events that lots of people get involved in, and help the group gain a deeper understanding of refugee issues around the world. I also want to create and improve relationships between Voices for Refugees and other organisations and focus groups.

Elijiah

Hello, My name is Elijah, I joined Voices for Refugees in Grade 9 and I have been enamoured by the spirit of community continuously present in the group. Every day, issues around the world grow bigger and worse, but what action are we taking. I joined Voices for Refugees because I wanted to be part of a movement that tackles these issues on its own scale with true passion and heart.

Hana

I’m Hana from Grade 11, and this is my second year in Voices for Refugees. I gained interest in the topic of refugees since researching for my Global Perspectives essay in Grade 9, which led me to join Voices for Refugees the following year. I believe the global refugee crisis is a pressing humanitarian issue, which every country and every person is responsible to tackle and help find a peaceful solution. This year, I am very much looking forward to deepening my understanding about this topic, discussing and sharing views with others, and developing my own perspective. 

Contact Us

11 + 9 =