These past few weeks in global cooking have required a lot of planning. I have attempted to teach the students one of the Japanese recipes (strawberry mochi) from my culture. Because I hadn’t made it in a while, I had to take the time to relearn the recipe and trial the recipe to ensure it would work on the day. After relearning the recipes, I also had to plan a session to teach the students about my culture and how it may differ from theirs. This included coming up with a few questions of interesting facts about Japan that the students might not know, and trying to find a way to engage them in these activities. I think my planning really paid off, and the strawberry mochi turned out amazing. A lot of the students were also very happy with the results and even said it was the best recipe they had learned in all of season 3! It was really nice to see that my hard work has paid off.
I also learned to collaborate with another G11 student to ensure all the students were on track and making each of the recipes properly. By splitting up the group of students within us, we were able to keep a better eye on all of the students and help each of the students when they had difficulties. I think it was still challenging because there are twenty students and only 2 teacher facilitators, 2 student facilitators. However, I did realise that some of the students were able to help and teach each other so I used this to my advantage to ensure the cooking was going to plan.