Student Portfolio

The Story of My Learning Starts Here

Term 2 Apex Harmony Lodge

| 0 comments

In term 2 we continued our service at the Apex Harmony Lodge. I deepened my relationship with my resident, and I got to know him better personally as well as his music tastes.

LO2- Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process

Along with how I developed my relationship with him, I developed my skills in communication too. Learning what to say, how to treat him, especially when he is frustrated or angry is something that was hard for me in the beginning. There are many factors to their mood. Dementia causes him to think about things such as stress from work, problems with money and healthcare among many other things. As during this period of time, the lodge is undergoing heavy construction. Calming the resident with music and talking to them helps them to relax more.

LO4-Show commitment to and perseverance in CAS experiences. Students can articulate the stages from conceiving an idea to executing a plan for a CAS experience or series of CAS experiences.

This service is something I am very committed to. I am committed to this service because it has a direct impact on the residents in Apex Harmony Lodge. If I don’t show up, they will be the ones who suffer. Because I signed up for this service, it is my obligation to carry this towards the end and not let others suffer from the consequences of my actions.