Xuan Ru’s Reflection

When I was in Grade 9, I initially joined this service because I didn’t get into the service of my choice (no allocations) and I thought this was a gardening service (the name used to be Green Fingers, who wouldn’t think it’s gardening). But I realised that I like the fact that I can make a change first hand in events by providing washable crockeries as well as supporting events in person. The interaction with the community was incredibly satisfying as well, as we work together with Buddha Tzu Chi in events like Sunday recycling and Pasir Ris day. 

Although I did try to aim to be chair of the service, I was lacking in some areas regarding leadership skills. Thus I once again take on the role of the secretary and support both chairs with my experience in the service. I think this is quite a suitable role for me because not only can I learn from Siya, but I have strong management and spreadsheet skills which aids me in my role. 

The skills you learn in this service is really transferable. Not only do you learn life skills (washing and recycling), but you learn how to collaborate with other people and plan for events. As a Grade 11 who has been in the service for 3 years, it is quite a joy to bridge the invisible gap with the younger grades, though it can definitely be better.