GROWTH MINDSET PSE

Spanish is one of the main subject where I have faced multiple feelings towards. Currently, I feel that I am closer to having a fixed mindset on this because I did it for fewer years as compared to everyone else as I’ve only done it for 2 years now but everyone else has been doing it since middle school. This is because I keep switching schools and in my old school, the teacher was super sweet and I really liked her so I found myself wanting to do well to make her proud. However, she wasn’t a very good teacher so I felt that it was really hard to do well and I also had many more important subjects that I prioritised. So in that year, grade9, in my old school was the first year I did Spanish and I failed all my exams with a grade which was most of the time below 5. When I switched to UWC in grade10, I did Spanish again. This time I hated the teacher and she hated me. She had a fixed mindset towards me and so I did too. The fact that she was strict, however, forced me to prioritise her work which was also practice. Although I didn’t like her or the subject, being forced to do it increased my understanding of the language which then made it easier for me to study because I had the motivation in me. Nearing the end of the year, she began to notice my improvements and started to spend more time and effort into pushing me to do even better. I ended up 1 mark away from an A* in my IGCSEs which was mostly because of her teaching.