Culturama India (Weeks one and three)

This year I auditioned to be a part of the Indian dance in Culturama. I had previously taken part in Culturama in 2015 (Grade 9) and enjoyed the experience immensely, so I decided to take part again this year. Fortunately, I got into the dance. The dance this year is divided into two different styles – the ‘Bhangra’/’Garba’ style, and the more classical ‘Bharatanatyam’ style. I got into the classic section, which was a welcome situation as I learn Bharatanatyam outside school and am able to help out the leaders if they require assistance with teaching the movements.

Since my Culturama rehearsals and MUN sessions are at the same time (Wednesday after school), I have had to compromise in both and have alternate weeks at each activity. This is why I was able to go for the first and third weeks of Culturama. So far, we have learnt almost the entire dance, with the exception of the end in which we merge with the other half of the dance.

I am enjoying Culturama a lot as I get to spend time doing something I love (dance) with my friends, and in the end, I get to produce a wonderful performance. I am looking forward to attending all the rehearsals after my MUN conference is over.

LO1 – Identifying your own strengths and develop areas for personal growth

LO2 – Demonstrate that you have undertaken, developing new skills in the process