GEP Final Reflection

There are a few things that I would consider doing differently if I were to undertake this service again. First, I would ask more questions regarding the service requirements of CAS. As a new student, it was quite overwhelming being thrust into UWCSEA and all its extracurriculars. This would lead to a better understanding of the difference between college service, local service, focus groups, and global concerns. I would have also had more courage in going for a leadership role. This would have bred more experience in heading projects, communicating with other service heads, as well as being more assertive in expressing ideas. These are all very different outcomes, however, I am still grateful that I got to know what I know now. A question that emerged as part of this service is: “What can I do in terms of direct service?” This can be easily answered in a world where a pandemic does not exist, yet I am extremely grateful that I got to learn what it is like operating from behind the  scenes. It is a frustrating process, yet I have  grown because of this. 

If there is one thing I regret, it is not being able to bring menstrual cups to my community. After talking with our partner, Freedom Cups, we realized that their target communities are areas where menstrual poverty and shaming are very prevalent, which made me consider that there are more deserving communities that need it more. It may be a bit of a financial stretch for women in my hometown to purchase menstrual cups, however, it is not a pressing problem. I was able to find out though, that there is a large percentage of women who are interested in trying it out, despite the stigma it carries in more conservative circles. This is all part of the CAS process, though, not all plans can come into fruition, and that’s okay.

Learning Outcomes: 6,7