L03: 2nd Raw Beauty Reflection

L03: Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience

//Service

As the awareness officer of Raw Beauty, along with the other officers of the service and the Chair, we got the opportunity to work with Ms. Psillides- Head of Environmental Sustainability, to work on how our service will more forward. Our grade 1o students will be leaving us shortly and we will be welcoming grade 9 students next! In this session we brainstormed and learned about different ways to engage with the new students while also maintaining our goals as a service. The two activities we learned were:

1. Synthesis activity : students will split the page in half, one side says ‘raw’ while the other ‘beauty’, and they’ll have 2 minutes to think of words related to the topic. It will also be done for ‘environment’ and ‘initiative’. This activity aims to loosen the atmosphere through competition but also brainstorm ideas on what Raw Beauty and Environment Initiatives are.
  2. Card sort: we will be providing students with 8 cards; environmental stewardship, environmental sustainability, advocacy, awareness, direct action, indirect action, sustainable development and sustainability. They then will make connections on what the words mean and how they relate to our service.

Through this service session, I learnt about these activities and how to lead them. I think this session will be a fun way to break the ice with the grade 9 students!

On another note, this year with the awareness group, we have accomplished many things in the last few months. As our service is still quite new, my team and I mainly did some planning work and research. Here are our key achievements so far:

1. We made an inventory of the different moulds we have. We may possibly be partnering with another service group at school called Daraja, and we were thinking of ideas on what moulds and colours that can help represent their cause, if they choose to sell soap to gain income as well as awareness.
  2. We made a presentation on the ethical considerations of cosmetics and toiletries. Through this task my group and I had a greater sense of how big the problems is as we explored this topic in a variety of lenses. Such as animal testing, child labour and misrepresentation of the ingredients used. As we are the awareness group we want to see what topics we want to convey and spread awareness.
  3. Most recently we started a Pinterest board to look at different homemade recipes and sustainable packaging. Personally, I think my group enjoyed this activity a lot as we got to be creative, looking for inspiration and talking about the different ideas and made us look forward to when we can actually start selling soap (soon!).

Overall, within the awareness group, my role requires me to help lead discussions and encourage ideas. The other students in the awareness group are full of ideas and enthusiasm, which during brainstorms are useful as it helps encourage deeper thinking and further discussions. This has helped me lead the awareness group. I can’t wait for this service to start partnering with other groups so we can make soap and spread our message of sustainability. 

Here are a few pictures!

Published in CAS Service

Comments