HL Essay – Second Reflection

Once chosen the general text: Robert Frost poems, I had to pick around 3 single poems on which to base my analysis. I finally chose “Love and a Question”, “Design”, “Carpe Diem” and “Take something like a star” and the reason why I chose these out of all the many others our class had analysis, is because these were the ones I remember I reasoned the most with and “felt closer” to.

The initial challenge was to come up with a question, to which I could answer with the use of all 4 of the poems; hence I had to find a common theme between the 4 texts. I found none, but what I recognized while doing my analysis, was that Robert Frost uses his poems to talk about any given theme to which all people can relate to; sometimes he agrees with the opinion he’s trying to evaluate, some other times he addresses the issue of such a perspective and in other occasions, he limits himself to question the theme taken into consideration. By following this logic, I managed to come up with the following thesis statement “Robert Frost uses his writing to evaluate, discuss and question societal beliefs and perspectives on common themes such as love, life choices and world order”. 

A further reason why I chose to work on poems is that I knew had an analysis of these poems that was long and detailed. I didn’t directly use my old analysis though, I decided instead of analysing the poems from scratch and only if I had any issues I would go back to my old notes. This helped me to refresh my mind, go back to my thoughts and fully understand the text so that when I need any kind of evidence, I would know exactly where to go. One difficulty that I am facing right now as I am writing my essay is to synthesize my analysis and take out only what I need, but in the end, I am really happy of being analysing poems again.

Published inEnglish Learner Portofolio

Be First to Comment