Representation in “Crazy Rich Asians”

Do you agree with any of the perspectives shared (on the film) so far? Why/not? Try to write it in full and include your ideas from your last homework.

In the film Crazy Rich Asians, I can see that the creator is trying to feature the culture and people of wealthy Singaporeans and the mindset collision between the top class rich people i.e. the boyfriend and his family and the middle-class regular citizens i.e. the girl and her friends in the film. The creator intended to represent Asians and especially the East Asian group in the film.

I have not watched or seen the film before, however, from what I have watched in the trailer, I can tell that the creator is trying to insert elements of Asian culture into the film, and one of which I have noticed was that the wealthy family would use the clean water in a bowl to wash their hands instead of using it for drinking, and hence I can see the effort the creator made to represent the group in a more accurate way. The people and values of them in the film also make me, as an Asian, feel related. In terms of portraying the environment, I think the film does to a certain extent represents Asian. But at the same time, due to the restriction that the film mainly wanted to present the top, wealthy Asians’ life, it has misrepresented the life and mindset of the rest of the Asians who won’t experience or see themselves in the way this film had presented to the audience, and would disagree the representation in the film. After looking at the criticizes of the film, I feel that I can’t deny that the film highlighted only the East Asians instead of all Asians, and in so many ways the representation is very limited to a minority among all Asians.

On the other hand, apart from the complicated culture and background represented in the film, as an individual, I think the main female character has well represented the Asian American group who has grown up without really knowing the culture of their origin. She started off as someone almost ignorant on the courtesy and norms of Asians; the process of her exploring and experiencing the culture is also guidance for Asian Americans to start and take a look at the Asian culture they have not been exposed to. This movie could be of great importance just for showing this representation to the audience.