CAS-Returning to Rainforest Restoration Project

This reflection supports the following learning outcome(s):

LO 3 Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience

LO 6 Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance

This year, as a part of my service activity, I have returned to The Rainforest Restoration, a college that can also act as a local service which aims is to research and raise awareness for the indigenous plant species of Singapore. Since I have been doing the service since last year, I think I do have more basic knowledge and experiences on the issue, so I am more confident in making more contributions this year. Although I did not apply for leadership in the service this year, I do think I have more responsibility in guiding the members who are joining this year. Therefore, my first goal would be to team up and get to know some of the new members and help them get familiar with the space we have for the tree nursery, at the same time review for myself the initiatives and the knowledge about the trees we grow. Hopefully, at the end of the term both me and the people in my small group will be able to recognize the common species in the nursery and able to tell their characteristics. Through the Rainforest Restoration Project service, I wish to focus on the two following Sustainable Development Goals: Although Singapore is already doing so much for increasing the greens within the urban areas we have, my pairs, supervisors and of course myself do believe that it is probably not enough. By joining this service, I believe that it will be a good step towards learning and understanding what is that we need to work on to bring the natural species back to this land.