Service:

Capturing East Mid Reflection 2

Mid Reflection 2, LO4, LO5

Throughout Capturing East, commitment, collaboration and communication are key values that help uphold the integrity of the service. For example, due to child safeguarding rules, communication between our service group members and staff members must be limited to emails only. Emails can often be lost in a person’s inbox or simply forgotten, that’s why in our service we make it our responsibility to follow up politely or persevere with someone who may not be responding. This also requires time outside of the allocated 1.5 hours to check the shared email address and respond to emails to demonstrate the passion and organisation of our service, and to show respect to the person being contacted. Something that really helps me stay commited to the service is that I love stories, and people at UWC have interesting ones to tell. I always find myself raptured by each and every interview and article. 

I think this has contributed to me writing successful articles and conducting successful interviews, as I am always asking follow up questions in interviews and finding new angles on the people we interview. The mission is also clearly woven into the lives of almost everyone we interview, which is really amazing to see, because we don’t often get to see the mission so explicitly in our everyday lives. 

Honestly, collaborating has been really easy in the service. While I don’t have a specific sub group I’m currently working with within the service, whenever someone needs help I step in if I don’t have an article or interview on my agenda. I think also with the majority of the service consisting of G11 students, it’s easy for me to talk to and approach people, and of course Dr Allen and Mr Perera are also very approachable and easy to talk to. Collaboration is a key part of the service – and not just everyone doing the same amount of work. I think it is important at times to delegate work when you know you cannot handle it by yourself, because that shows not only awareness of oneself but also respect for the person you are writing about. At times it is difficult if there is a lull in the amount of work needing to be done, but there is always some admin work to be taken care of in the mean time – we are never not busy 🙂