Initial Service Reflection – CAS

LO1 – Identify your own strengths and develop areas for growth

For this strand of CAS, I’m participating in Urban Gardening Propagation and the Memory Project.

Propagation focuses on our more local community, both in school and around Singapore. There, although I do have experience with plant propagation, in no way am I an expert. My family highly values plants, and further, I’ve grown up propagating them. I’ve propagated from seeds, seedlings, cuttings, etc, but never really taken part in a planting activity through school. I’m pretty good at following directions, in the past that’s all I’ve really had to do – my parents know what they are doing, they’re horticulturists – but because this is the first year I’ve done it, I’m not entirely sure of how I can contribute in a more meaningful way, like helping some of the younger members. I think that’s because I’m not sure how Mr. Goldstein and Pat want stuff done. My goal is to try to pick this up so I can help out more. At the same time, I do think that I’ve taken initiative in several different ways, like during clean up and doing inventory. I also think I’m quite good at knowing what what needs to get done, and just doing it. I’m quite willing to participate in whatever people want to me to do, but I sometimes feel that some of my friends in the service don’t quite realise that I understand what I’m doing, and end up sort of ordering me around. This is somewhat understandable, because I don’t think that I’m really showing that I know what I’m doing, which is another goal of mine. When this happens though, I generally don’t do what they say, just because I don’t think it’s necessary and seems like a bit of a waste of time.