HS Medical Society: Reflection 3 (LO2)

LO2 CHALLENGE – Undertaken new challenges & developing new skills.

A new challenge may be an unfamiliar experience or an extension of an existing one. The newly acquired or developed skills may be shown through experiences that the student has not previously undertaken or through increased expertise in an established area.

The Medical Society at school currently is being chaired by a group of great twelth graders. However, with the graduation approaching soon for the class of 2020, it’s time for new leadership. Having been a part of the Medical Society since grade nine, I felt that it would be a great opportunity for me to step up and assume the role of one of the chairs.

The International Baccalaureate is one of the world’s most challenging programmes. Before signing up and auditioning for the role of a leader in any activity, I always consider how much time I am able to dedicate and what value I can bring to the activity or service. However, with the Medical Society, it was an instant decision. Everyone who wanted to attempt to become chair, was instructed to write an anonymous paragraph explaining why others should vote for them. I thought that this exercise would also be a great idea for me to reflect on why I wanted to be chair. Below I wrote a paragraph that would be presented to the rest of the members, so that they could get to know me a little bit better and understand my vision for the club.

My Paragraph:

Growing up, the complexities of the human body constantly spurred my curiosity. As I progressed further into my education, my interest only grew. Getting involved with services like SunDac and ApexHarmony (working with mentally disabled and dementia patients), nurtured my passion for service to mankind.

Choosing to pursue medicine became a no brainer. I found the Medical Society during my IGCSE years. Prior to joining, I had been part of various activities related to science, but none intrigued me as much as Medical Society. Whether it was the thought provoking MMI questions, the gory videos of surgeries, the exciting games or sessions filled with nerve-wrecking advice about (how hard it is) getting into medical school, I found a community that shared my love for medicine. As a chair, I want to continue the traditions we’re all fond of, and create new ones.

Getting into medical school can seem daunting – especially when you are expected to know so much about things you don’t necessarily learn about in school: keeping up to date with new research, or deeper insight about public health systems of countries around the world. Perhaps you’re looking for shadowing opportunities? Or maybe you’re still uncertain about wanting to pursue medicine. I hope to create a space where you can acquire more indispensable knowledge, where your questions can be answered, and most importantly – where you can have fun. I hope to explore hands-on practicals, (looking more in depth at) tests like the UKAT, BMAT and MMI’s.

Furthermore, as a perfectionist, organization is one of my strengths. Using my skill, I hope to take into account all of your inputs on what you want to do in Medical Society each week. Don’t want to read long, soul-sucking, research papers / articles? We can watch new, thrilling and engaging documentaries like ‘Diagnosis’. It’s your choice. Because, ultimately each and every one of you add to who we are and what we hope achieve over here.