Inner Demons

During my early childhood, I lived with my mother, my grandmother and my father. My mother was a kind, gentle soul, who would never even hurt a fly. I remember my grandmother being very weak and pale, at least before she passed. My father was a tall and burly man, dedicated to his mother. After the death of his beloved mother, my father became a broken man. Nothing could satisfy him anymore, nothing other than the bottle. Over the years, my father became abusive; first towards my mother and then towards me. I hated him for what he had done to my mother and I and got out of there as soon as I came of age. 17 years later, I have opened a convenience store on the other side of the country and have been manning it for about 3 years now, with 2 employees to help me along. It was just another boring day when suddenly this huge man walked in, flooding me with memories of my father. I tried keeping my calm but eventually had to go around back to take a breather. When I came back out, I saw that the man was reaching for things around the counter. I shoved my way past 2 ordinary shoppers in order to stop this man. I threatened and argued with him, trying to hide my overwhelming fear. I reached for him, yet he simply pushed me aside and walked out of the store. I had never felt weaker in my life.

One thought on “Inner Demons”

1. Narrative differs from description as it is simply more than a collection of events. In a description you are simply attempting to convey the surface-level things to the reader – the visual, physical scene. But in narrative, you are also attempting to convey emotions, feelings, and ideas across to the reader. It feels like a description is like watching a movie while a narrative is going on a journey yourself. In the context of Arsh’s writing, I suppose it’s not as focused on the event of the robbery, but more so on using the event to show and explain the main character. However, it is still a narrative in the way that it doesn’t simply describes what’s happening but also including the emotional qualities of the characters.