Grade 9 Personal Statement

Hi. I’m Arsh Dutt, a 15 year old boy that hails from New Delhi, India. I’m currently living in Singapore and attend the 9th grade in my school, UWCSEA. This last year has been very eye opening for me as I have learned a lot about who I am as a learner and an individual. Over the course of the year, I have built many goals for myself to work towards, many of them being related to academics and health. Some of my goals include gaining a higher attainment in all of my academic subjects and another one of my goals is to get into the Football A team. Some of my personal strengths such as agility on the pitch and perception when reading can help me achieve these goals.

There are numerous different reasons as to why I have developed these specific goals for myself. I have always had a passion for sports, being influenced by my parents to learn them at a very young age. A sport that I particularly got attached to in my younger years was Football. Something about the adrenaline rush and the element of teamwork and comradery is what caused me to fall in love with it. Academics is also a very important part of my life. I want to attain better grades because it makes you more confident of yourself and instills good habits into you which in turn, help shape your future into something better.

The way in which I am going to achieve these goals are just as varied. For my academic goal, I want to create a more organised and structured method of studying, one that allows me to feel confident with all my subjects simultaneously. For my sports goal, I am going to start practicing football way more often and perhaps even start going to the gym to workout. I think that I should do these things alone because as I learned over the past year, I work more efficiently as an individual.

I feel like something that has gone particularly well for me over the year is the way in which I have built relationships with my peers and teachers. Previously, I did not value these relationships as much as I should have but I have know begun to see their true value. Something I could do better next time around is managing my time as I found myself getting overwhelmed by my work at times.

Overall, I think this year has been a success as I have not only improved as a learner, but also as an individual. I have learned many things about myself and the peers around me. I want to set new goals for myself to work towards. I am looking forward to the future and what it holds.